Sunday, 23 June 2013

Update on Mary: Chemo Conundrum

Mom began another round of chemo this month. Lately her white counts have been low, so she never knows whether or not she will be able to get her chemo. This week her counts were at the very bottom of the "allowed" range, so please pray specifically for her white blood cells and neutraphils to increase and remain stable.

Mom sees two oncologists, and up until this point they have both recommended the same course of action, but after her last PET scan they had differing opinions on her future treatment. One thinks she can stay the course with her current drug (Gemzar), and the other thinks it is time to hit the cancer a little harder and add a stronger drug (Abraxaine) to the Gemzar. Mom has seen an MD who specializes in nutrition and has made some changes to her diet and added some supplements that are supposed to increase the impact of the Gemzar. At the end of this month she will have her CA-19 markers checked again, and decide whether or not a change needs to be made depending on those results. Please pray for wisdom for mom as she contemplates her options.

After this week's chemo mom felt pretty terrible. Please pray for increased strength, rest, and a decrease in nausea.

Thank you all so much for your prayers! We have had a rough few weeks leading up to Grandma Cox's funeral, but the services were lovely and catching up with out of town family was such a treat. We are hoping that the next few weeks will be uneventful and that mom will get lots of rest.

1 comment:

Heather said...

What a summer for you guys! Praying you all get some rest for a bit.