Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Big Day

Today started a bit earlier than I expected. Last night I stayed up as late as I could in an attempt to jolt my body into this new time zone. I made it until about 9 or 9:30. When I woke up I felt great-full of energy and ready to start the day. However, it was still pretty dark out and so I decided to stay under the cover of my mosquito net for awhile longer. After waiting as long as I could I got up to check the clock, assuming it would be about six or so. Unfortunately, it was ten to one. After tossing and turning for at least an hour I got up and finished my unpacking, organized my paperwork and receipts, and read for a bit. I did manage to catch a few more hours sleep, and was still sleeping when the breakfast bell rang at seven. We had "city power" last night (which means our guest house was powered by the public grid, and therefore we had hot water this morning. It was so nice to take a hot shower when I was expecting to have to take a cold one.

After breakfast we got ready to go to Mtoto's babies home, which I will call "P" when I blog about it (I will be visiting at least two other orphanages, and I want to keep them straight for you). The plan was to go meet him, let him get used to me, then bring him back to the guest house for the rest of the day. However, TIA, and the person who needed to be there for the official hand-off was not able to make it, so I had to leave without him, BUT I will be able to return this afternoon or evening and barring another unforeseen circumstance will have him with me tonight.

It was amazing. Very different than with Tommy, because we were on Mtoto's turf so he was already comfortable. He came to me very easily and was reasonably content to stay with me. He looked a bit confused by it all, and put up a fuss when he got hungry, but after he ate he fell asleep in my arms. Sigh. I am looking forward to going back tonight. He is adorable and I can't wait to bring him "home."

Tomorrow is another big day. Tomorrow would probably be more appropriately described as "huge." We have our visa interview between 12 and 3 (it won't actually take three hours, but it will be during that window of time, which, is 6 to 9 CST). We desperately need your prayers for this. It's funny, because during T's adoption I was not at all worried about the visa interview because I thought it was just a "rubber stamp." However, I know a lot more now, and realize that things don't always go well in the visa process. Mtoto's orphanage, "P" is a newer orphanage, and thus we (and the two other families adopting from there) will be under increased scrutiny. Please pray that our interview would go smoothly, the investigations conducted with integrity, and that our visa would be promptly approved.


ktruelove said...

So wonderful to hear about you meetin Mtoto:) Praying that everything goes well with the appointment!

The Knudsen family said...

The kids and I just had a little breakfast prayer for you and Mtoto. Oh Amy, I'm beyond excited for you—all our thoughts will be in Africa today!

susie lavender said...

Big prayers coming your way.

Chelsea Lee said...

YAY for getting to hold your boy! i'm not going to lie this post made me cry. God is working Amy, I'm praying and I can't wait to meet little man #2.

Sweet Apron said...

We prayed for you at study this morning and will be covering you in prayers. Big hugs from us!

pullyblank! said...

oh amy, yay!!!!! I can't wait to see photos, and hear that he is "home" with you, while you wait for his visa, which will go quickly and smoothly I am sure!!!! holding you all in my heart tonight!!!