Friday 25 March 2011

Down Time

Today we canceled our plans and decided to hang around the guest house. The last few days have been grueling for almost all of the families- either physically or emotionally or both. We've spent many hours in very hot cars, and our kids were all wiped out. Thus, a "down" day.

It's down in other ways too. A few of us are feeling under the weather. Most of us are itchy from mosquito bites, and it just rained so the swarms of insects are about to get much thicker. Everyone is exhausted, and most of the kids are a bit cranky (but I can't complain because Mtoto is peachy). In addition, a few of the families here have experienced some setbacks. Overall, the tone here is not exactly upbeat. Please pray that we would all be refreshed and that we would be able to focus on our blessings (which really are abundant).

I'm doing ok. I'm one of the "under the weather people" but I took some probiotics this morning and a short nap and have been very careful about eating today, and am now feeling much more perky. I have to switch rooms tomorrow, and I am really not looking forward to it-partially because I dislike change and almost never handle it well, but also because I'm informed that the room I am moving to is basically awful. I haven't actually seen the new room yet, but my understanding is that it is isolated, infested with bugs, has no place for Mtoto to sleep (we will be sharing a twin bed), shares a bathroom with a bunch of other rooms (and therefore there is no way for me to watch Mtoto while I shower or go to the bathroom), and is very hot. Hence, I'm not really looking forward to the change.

I will do whatever it takes to get this little guy home. If living in less than ideal conditions are what it takes, then so be it. That said, please pray that I will be able to find workable solutions- especially for sleeping arrangements and showering. I really don't know how Mtoto and I will share a twin bed. Although in general I do like the idea of cosleeping to facilitate bonding, he really isn't big enough for me to feel comfortable sleeping with him in such a limited space. We have been sleeping in a double bed, which has just enough room for a pillow barrier on one side and a mom barrier on the other so that he can't roll off. Sleeping hasn't been the easiest because I am afraid I will crush him (I fully realize this is irrational), but at least I feel confident that he isn't going to hurt himself falling off the bed. I don't feel that way about a twin. As for the new bathroom arrangements, I need to figure out how to take a shower every day (this is necessary for my emotional well being). Showering with Mtoto is not an option. He does not like water at all. Getting bathed at his orphanage was a rather cold and traumatic event, and even a little warm tub freaks him out. We've been doing "bath-time" via washcloth and that has been acceptable for him thus far, but I know I can't just haul him in with me, or leave him alone in our room (to roll off the twin bed). So, I have an quite an adventure ahead.

I will write about yesterday's visit to the orphanage...but I feel like this post is depressing enough as it is, and talking about that would just put it over the top. Way over the top.

On a positive note, Mtoto's diaper rash is a yeast infection and it is responding well to the cream I'm using on it. His skin still looks awful, but I can tell that he is more comfortable. He continues to eat like a champ, drool constantly (teething), and has the best dimples. His smile lights up the room. He loves being tickled, listening to me sing "Good morning [insert his name] Sunshine," and banging this red firetruck I brought on the floor. I have been introducing fruits and veggies (via babyfood) into his diet, so his diapers have been a little more work, but I continue to marvel at how much easier kids are to care for when they aren't shooting poop all over themselves, you, the furniture and the walls four to six times a day. Did I mention how thankful I am that Mtoto does not appear to have giardia? And he's up! So, I'm signing out...

8 comments:

Sweet Apron said...

Prayers are continually being spoken for you, Amy. I coslept with both boys & my best advice would be to push the twin bed up against the wall and roll a blanket tightly to seal up the space (even a small space) between bed & wall. Or just put the mattress on the floor is you are able to-it sounds like that may not be an option, but trying to suggest things to help you sleep without fear. Take care- you are loved!

Heather said...

I feel like I'm gobbling up your words as I read them. Thank you again for posting.

I was going to make the same bed suggestions as above. I hope you can figure out something comfortable. I know you know this, but you won't squish your little man!

I'm sorry things are rough right now. I appreciate your honesty and will be praying for all the things you mentioned.

Julie said...

Hi Amy, I have been reading your posts for quite some time via your mom's links. Mic and I and the family are praying for you, too. Thank you for sharing and being such an encouragement. I remember how much you liked going to Mexico on the mission trips even when you were little! May the Lord continue to bless you! Julie H

The Knudsen family said...

Praying for emotional peace and physical comfort... and a speedy return home! Snuggles to Mtoto. xo

Sweet Apron said...

Another odd thought came to me...if you have a large pullman type suitcase that's kind of deep, you could fashion a sort of play pen out of it and place it next to the shower?? Line it with some soft towels or blankets?? He could sleep there while you showered or give him a little toy. Hope this makes sense!

Judy said...

Sweet Apron's suggestions are best, but if you can't do either of those and you have a lot of cushions/pillows, pile them on the floor on the side of the bed Mtoto will be sleeping on. That way, if he falls, at least it will be a soft landing.

Could you take Mtoto in the bathroom with you to play on the floor while you shower? It's better than not knowing what he's doing at all.

You've got amazing courage, Amy. I know I could never handle being in those conditions.

Mark Pullyblank said...

ditto bed up against the wall with cushiness in the crack, and blankets/towels on the floor while you shower. you'll find your magic solutions!!

Bethany said...

Just getting caught up on your blog Amy. Our family has been praying for you and the baby! This is so exciting brings back emotions for us. Know that you are covered in prayer for everything from safety to showers! Stay strong mama! You are amazing!