Tuesday 1 March 2011

Quite A Day

I came home from a busy morning (bible study, errands), put Tommy down for his nap, fixed myself some lunch, and checked my email. My inbox was stuffed with emails back and forth between my two adoption buddies - the two women whose children are in the same babies home as Mtoto - and whose court cases, decisions, etc have occurred at the same time as ours.

They got visa appointments. Us? Who knows. My first reaction was panic mixed with discouragement. My mind tends to go to the worst case scenario (no matter how absurd and unrealistic), so I fired off an email letting them know we hadn't gotten any news, and then flipped over to facebook for a little distraction.

I had a recent notification for a wall post from my sister (in-law) Colleen, that had been put on my wall about a minute before:

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18

Timely. Very Timely.

I messaged her that she had no idea how perfect that verse was for that time, and she sent me a note saying that she had posted it on my wall completely accidentally. She had been trying to put it in her status update...and somehow it landed (out of her 500 million friends) on my wall. Not a coincidence.

So, I obeyed.

I prayed. I was thankful for my circumstances, and I rejoiced. Of course, I felt somewhat better, but still a bit...distracted. After all, what if that little encouragement was not just a nice reminder for the afternoon...but something that I might need to carry out for weeks? What if I had to watch my friends go to Africa while I waited on an appointment. So, I repeated my prayer and thankfulness, then I sat down to do my bible study (standard during nap-time routine) and got a little ways through it, when Tommy woke up. It was far, far too early for him to wake up. I'm not just saying that because I want more time alone, but because he gets rather cranky without that nap. I went into his room to see why he was crying, and he asked me to snuggle. I lay down, he curled up on top of me and sweetly nuzzled my neck...then proceeded to urinate about three gallons of pee all over me. I got soaked. My jeans, my tank top, my shirt, my sweater, my undergarments- all dripping wet. He also got the sheets and of course, his clothes. It was an incredible amount of pee.

I just looked at him and said, "did you really just pee all over me?" It was then that I realized that the poor child wasn't even awake. He had peed an ocean and hadn't even noticed. In fact, after I got up to change, he continued to sleep in that wet mess until I returned, and finally my changing his clothes woke him up.

I'm not sure why I felt the need to add in the gross pee story, but, it's a snapshot of what this day has been like. We might not have a visa appointment and I got doused in a few gallons of pee. But, as I taught Tommy to sing (for the first time) this afternoon, "God is so good, God is so good, He's so good to me."

Late this afternoon I heard a rumor that I shouldn't worry about whether or not we have an appointment. We are super excited, but still waiting on confirmation both for the appointment and the rest of our documents...

Please pray with us that our remaining documents will be ready in time for us to pick up our Mtoto.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Good evening. About time to get to bed. Robin wisely has gone. A book I have been reading is Larry Crabb's "66 Love Letters". One Love letter for every book of the Bible. For those who read it they will be surprised at the interaction between Dr Crabb and the Lord. Very honest and soul searching. One of his main points is that God uses every difficulty in this life to draw us to greater dependence upon Him! And the Lord will not rest until His own put all their trust in Him and pursue His holiness. Blessings, Uncle David

Jess said...

Okay, I know that I should probably emphasize exactly the verse that your friend "accidentally" sent you, and I will say isn't God amazing how he works? But I am also laughing so hard at the ocean of pee! Little boys- what else can you say?!