Monday 31 January 2011

Needles, Jam, and Preparing for the End of the World: An Update

Well, I feel like a pincushion. For those of you (mom) who think I am just being a wimp, Jeff is complaining too, and he is very reluctant to whine about pain. It may have been the chemicals in the vaccine or the nurse's technique, but we are both having some serious soreness, and Jeff felt pretty under the weather the day after the shots.

Since we went in on a Saturday we did not get the usual nurse. We had the training nurse (intern) and her supervisor. So, as an example, the nurse-in-training did my weight and vitals. I had to ask to take off my snowboots before I got on the scale, because she didn't tell me to. I don't know about you but I am not inclined to be weighed in my shoes, especially very heavy ones. Then, she figured out my weight and told it to me while she wrote it down. I laughed and said I was glad because it appeared that I had gotten rid of my Christmas weight. She looked at me and said, "How could you weigh any more?"

Yes, let that sink in. Just how you want to start your Saturday (well, actually I started my day eating raspberry French toast, but I wasn't about to tell her that). However, after further reflection I think she was probably not trying to insult me, because the longer we talked the more I realized that her grasp of English was not fantastic. And, as a point of honor, let me state for the record that I am well within the "normal" weight range for my age/height.

Anyhow, our shots took a very long time to administer, with a few mishaps, and now our arms hurt like the dickens. Best part? We get to do this again next week! (Different doc though, so it should be better).

Thus, we took it easy on Sunday. We came straight home after church, and Jeff rested and played with Tommy while I ran to Western Union (I forgot to send Mtoto's support for the month last time I was at the store), and then I made mixed-fruit jam. That was a bit of an adventure because I have only made jam once before (actually it was strawberry-lemon marmalade) and I did it with someone, and by "with" I mean that she was totally in charge and I just chopped and stirred and ladled. Also, I didn't have enough of any one fruit to follow a recipe, so I improvised- which is exactly what the instructions say not to do. However, it appears to have turned out well enough. The flavor is certainly interesting. But considering that I mixed pineapple, raspberries, tangerines, and limes, "interesting" is sort of what I was expecting. At least it looks pretty.


Best of all, my cans sealed! It was also my first time canning solo (I got a small canning kit for Christmas), but it went so well that I will do it again soon. I still have a lot of tangerines, and since the snowpocalypse is coming I will probably have some extra time on my hands, and I think this looks rather nice. This time I plan on following the instructions.

It is the last day of the month, and I am happy to say that I kept both of my resolutions this month. I have blogged more than 12 times, and I have read three nonfiction books: Two Nations: Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal; Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value; and Love at Last Sight. I am also halfway through three more non-fiction books, although one doesn't count according to my rules because it is a child-development book. They are all on hold because I have to finish this month's book club book, The World According to Garp, which has over 600 pages...and I just checked it out from the library, and we meet next week. I have quite a lot of bedtime reading to do.

Still no news on Mtoto's ruling. We are waiting as patiently as possible. Some days are better than others.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I was reading your post thinking about how happy I was that you were making jam, then how you made the same comment I did ("at least it looks pretty") and then you linked to my post! How sweet. Well, have fun with your next recipe and I'm sorry to hear about the shots - OUCH!

thecurryseven said...

Let me guess... typhoid? That did a big number on me and J. It felt as though we had the flu for 24 hours. (I really hope you had typhoid and it's not one of the shots you still have to look forward to -- M., B., and TM had no effects from it at all.)

e

Sweet Apron said...

Mmmm, looks so good. And if it's anything like your marmelade, yummmm. Are you loving this snow?!