Saturday 8 January 2011

Resolved

I am not one for making News Year's resolutions. I have never been that interested in New Year's as a holiday, and it just feels so forced to me to place so much weight on the power of flipping a page in the calendar to magically transform your life. January 1st really isn't much different than December 31st, or any other day, so if I really wanted to (eat healthy, lose weight, quite smoking, organize my house, get out of debt, win the lottery, etc) I would not wait until the start of a new year.

However, now my life is a bit busier than it ever has been, so I don't always have the time I would like to reflect on the state of things in my life. Coming home for Christmas does provide a bit of downtime. Anyhow, I have two goals this year. One, to read at least one non-fiction book a month that is not about parenting or adoption. I read plenty of fiction, both good (thanks to my classics book club) and brain candy, and I read parenting and child development books as well. For too long reading nonfiction felt too much like work (aka school). Now that I am completely done, with a diploma signed by The Terminator and everything, I feel like I can once again enjoy reading nonfiction. I'm sharing this because I think that publicly announcing goals makes you more likely to follow through. And, since I decided this at the end of December, I actually did start this month's book prior to the new year. In case you are wondering, it was a social science text of Jeff's from an undergrad honors class, and it's about being black in America. I have to admit that it has been disappointing so far because it is hardly academic, but, I should have been forewarned since it prominently states on the cover that it is a NYT bestseller. My mistake.

My second resolution is to blog at least twelve times a month. I'm doing this because otherwise I almost never take pictures or write down cute stories, and also because the bit of writing I do also give me time to reflect, which I need. So, things might be getting slightly more regular around here, or, I might just be posting a whole bunch the last week of each month (again, see December because I started right away).

No comments: