Tuesday 23 September 2008

Mountains of Paperwork

Since having another child the old-fashioned way carries so many risks for us, we have decided to pursue adoption. We decided to get started now since adoptions take so long to complete, so I began doing some internet research. At first the results were very discouraging. The first agency I called wouldn’t consider us because of our income, so I gave up, assuming that all agencies would have the same standards. After a few friends encouraged me to keep looking into it I found an agency that was willing to take into account our imminent graduations, and therefore soon to be rising income (hopefully anyway), when considering us as candidates for adoption. We meet state requirements (125% of poverty level), so it is really a matter of convincing an agency that we will be able to meet a child’s needs and pay the adoption fees. It appears we may be succeeding on that front.

Today we met with a social worker from the agency we want to use for our home study (the certification from the state of Illinois). She was very helpful, and I think she will be great to work with. Now we have many forms to fill out, and decisions to make.

I also got a call from our international agency. As of right now it looks like we will be adopting from Uganda. We will have a better idea of that once the international agency can review our home study and make sure that we are good candidates from the perspective of the Ugandan government.

One nice thing about the length of the adoption process is that it will give us plenty of time to continue to grieve for Leah. I know that it will also be frustrating to wait, but I am working on trusting in God’s timing.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so glad you didn't give up after that first call. I'm praying that God would bless you beyond your expectations.

Katie said...

I am really excited for you guys, even though I know it will take time. I love you and am praying for you.

Beth Sykes said...

prayers are with you and Jeff as you prepare for all the paperwork and details that go with adoption. I think you will be truly blessed through adoption and will also be a complete gift to this future child.

Robin said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks for this beautiful blog and for sharing with us. I'm so glad you had a sweet time in Colorado too. We have two friends in our church who have adopted "snowflake babies," and have been so blessed! You may already know about them, but there are many, many frozen embryos waiting to be implanted once the family who produced the embryos has decided that they don't want to have any more children. Our friends have been so blessed to be able to carry their adopted child in the womb, and apparently the paperwork and expense is much less too!
Blessings to you both!
A. Robin

jena said...

I just took some time to read through your blog. What an amazing journey you have been on. I will pray for you as you deal with the past and also as you look to the future. We came home with our two Ugandan blessings Sept 25th, 2008.

Jena