Monday 11 January 2010

That Place

Yesterday we returned from a relaxing weekend at Lake Isabella, and I was all fired up to write a funny post about the weekend (it was eventful), but I returned to some terrible news about some friends and lost my interest in posting a light story right now.

When we went to the High Court in Uganda, we went with another family, the Kehns, who were also adopting a little boy from Holy Innocent. The Kehns are missionaries in Uganda, living in the same general region that Tommy did. In fact, I don't have the time or energy to type up the whole story now, but God used them in Tommy's life long before we met him, and it is because of their actions that Tommy found a place at the babies home, and that we were later able to adopt him.

The Kehn's recently began the process of adopting another child, a beautiful little girl named Jerusalem. Last week she became dangerously ill, and after days of struggling for her life, she died in their arms.

They created a touching tribute to her life with them. It takes a great deal to love so freely and fiercely in the face of imminent death. Please take a few minutes to watch it, and pray for them as they struggle to continue their ministry concurrent with grief and the many hardships of living in Uganda. Jerusalem rests peacefully in the arms of her heavenly Father, as does Leah. Pray that the Kehns can find His peace in the midst of the darkness of death.


We are heartbroken for them. Last week when I first heard that Jerusalem was very ill, I felt sick. I know in my head that people lose their babies all the time, especially in developing countries, but every time it happens it still seems so, I don't know, incorrect.

Watching the video and seeing them lose their precious girl - her last moments, the handprints and footprints, the little fingers curled around their big ones - reminded me so much of our time with Leah. It struck me how similar the death of a little girl all the way across the globe looked - how death levels the distance and differences between us. Sometimes I forget how hard it was to be in that place, the death place. Dimples, chubby thighs, giggles, and sweet kisses accompanied by a big "mmmmmwwwwwaaaaaahhhh" push that aside. But things like this always remind me.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

oh dear..... my heart aches for them.....

They will be in my prayers. Sweet words Amy. They are truly blessed to have you as friends..

~Kathryn