Wednesday 25 February 2009

Relactation Frustration, or, An Unpleasant Surprise

On Monday I had a hard day. Mondays used to be harder for me than other days, I think because all the fun and distractions of the weekend end on Mondays, so I have more time to think, which means more time to miss Leah. As things have gotten a bit easier, Mondays haven't been noticeably different than the other days of the week. I think my encounter on Friday with the nurse, and my residual feelings from that factored into it as well. Anyhow, Monday was just one of those days when I really missed Leah. She was on my mind all day long. Some days are like that.

After a long day of feeling sad, I decided I should think about something a little happier. At my appointment on Friday I had talked with my doctor about adoptive breast feeding, and so I decided to do a little more homework on the subject. I ended up reading some articles written by women who have successfully breastfed "older" adopted children - those adopted between 6 months and a year. It was very encouraging. It will likely take a great deal of effort, and will probably take months, but it is possible to simulate breast feeding with the help of a supplementer and some people have even taught older children to latch and feed naturally. I'm not holding my breath on that one though. I spent maybe an hour reading articles and learning about the equipment I will need and the techniques that moms have successfully employed. Again one hour reading, and maybe another half hour thinking about when I want to get started, and what I might take on our trip to Uganda. So, an hour and a half (at most) of thought commitment to breastfeeding.

Tuesday morning I got a special surprise: breast milk.

I am pretty irritated. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that I apparently still have the ability to produce milk. I am irritated because it is a painful physical reminder of what I don't have, when my week already started out badly. I am irritated because I am sore and uncomfortable. Also, now I feel really impatient about the adoption. Clearly I need a baby today. I could feed it. In addition, now I clearly need to stop researching adoptive nursing, but I wasn't finished. Since we don't know how much lead time we will have before traveling, and it could be as short as four weeks, I had hoped to know what products I wanted so that the day we got our referral I could go buy my pump, place my orders for specialty products, and start preparing.

Obviously, the amount of milk I am dealing with is nothing compared to what happened right after Leah was born. It doesn't hurt nearly as much. Still, I don't want to deal with this right now. I had to hunt down my ice packs and start binding again. I am confident this will resolve itself quickly, but I am nevertheless not enjoying it.

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

I am amazed that your milk returned so quickly! It is a hard reminder and I can see it being a problem while you are waiting for the adoption to happen.
One idea is to pump the milk and freeze it. It is good for 6 months and who knows what will be happening by then? Another idea is to donate your milk. I heard about donation a few years ago and it is an amazing gift to give if you are able.
Just some thoughts.

Amy said...

It was just a small amount...and not fit to drink because of some medication I am on right now. I iced all day yesterday, and today have only a little soreness. I don't want to pump yet because if the adoption is significantly delayed it would be too painful.

Gretchen said...

I'm glad you aren't in too much physical pain this time around.
It is a good sign that your milk comes in so easily and you most likely won't have any trouble when your adoption goes through.

Heather said...

I am very impressed with your milk-producing abilities, but sorry you had to deal with this now.