Thursday 19 February 2009

Little Blankets

The hospital where Leah was born handles many of our area's difficult pregnancies and deliveries. Thus they must see many babies born far too soon, and many babies pass away. For the parents that suffer through this they provide a memory box, hospital bracelets, foot and hand prints, and little blankets. When Leah was born we received a little quilt for her. We had our own blankets as well, but for those parents caught unaware by an early delivery, the hospital blankets are all they may have. The blankets are usually provided by parents who have lost babies at the hospital. For a long time now I have wanted to make some blankets to give to the hospital, so that other parents like us will have blankets when their babies are born.

At first, I thought I might make some and take them in on an anniversary, but six months fell on Christmas Eve. I was in California, and I hadn't made any blankets by then anyway. While I was home I did pick up some fabric at The Cotton Shop, the same place where I found the material for Leah's blankets.

This past week while Jeff was at the lab around the clock, I went on a sewing spree. I made fourteen 12 by 12 blankets. I made some in blue and some in yellow, but all lined with pink. They are the same type of blanket that I made for Leah, just different fabrics. I sewed so much I used up a few spools of thread.

I'm not sure if I will take them in all at once, or if I will split them up and take them. At this point I am a little afraid to go into the maternity ward and hand them over. I have been back to the hospital many times. We go for our monthly support group, we have met with our genetic counselor and done blood testing, and we have attended a CPR class there for our adoption. I have even been in the wing of the hospital where the maternity ward is, but I have not ventured through those doors. I really don't want to.

Our experience at the hospital was quite good, such as it was. But even though that maternity ward is the place where my baby lived, it is also the place where my baby died. I just don't know if I can go back.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What an awesome gift, Amy! And, it's okay if you don't want to walk thru those doors.....

Katie said...

They are adorable- and I'll bet they are soft:) I know they will bring many families comfort.

mary said...

They turned out so nice. You can always give them to someone else to walk through the doors and just put a note on them. You can also wait for Buggie to go with you too.