Wednesday 3 December 2008

The Bunny Suit

After our confirmation ultrasound, the timing of our baby's arrival remained up in the air, and the ever present threat of a cord accident and stillbirth hung over us. Since we knew that each appointment with our doctor could yield bad news, we decided to gather the things we needed for delivery. We contacted Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, I made blankets, and we ordered an outfit for our baby.

Finding an outfit for a very premature baby is a difficult thing to do. You are limited to white, frilly burial gowns and NICU gowns. The selection of outfits for people in our situation is rather dismal. I felt it was inappropriate to dress my baby in a burial gown while the baby lived. The NICU gowns offered a decent array of patterns and colors, but they do not look like "regular" baby clothes. Given our options, we decided on a NICU gown.

Thankfully, the internet gave us access to a number of sites with a variety of gowns and quick service. We decided to purchase only one outfit to bring to the hospital, so we chose a gender-neutral gown featuring bunnies in yellow, blue, and green on a white background. In the pattern the bunnies jump on the bed, pillow fight, take baths, and nap. Chuckleberries made the gown we chose.

We ordered a micro-preemie size one gown, which fits a baby up to three pounds. Choosing a size was difficult because we didn't know how long we would be waiting until the baby was born. We knew our baby would have shortened limbs due to dwarfism, but also we had some concern about the distortion caused to the baby's torso by hydrops, and we wanted to make sure that whatever outfit we chose fit over his or her tummy. Since Leah ended up coming so early, her outfit more than covered her. Even though we ordered a short-sleeved gown in the smallest size possible, when Jeff dressed Leah he still had to roll up the sleeves! He also used pins to make the gown small enough to fit her.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this story. I'm sure people don't know about the preparation that one must take when delivering a child that won't survive. My story was similar except for the fact that we didn't prepare so far in advance. I was told to go to the hospital, but my mom and I went shopping first...for an outfit to put her in, as well as a burial dress. Truly bittersweet memories.

Amy said...

So true. The preparation is so intense, and there are so many things to think about that you are unprepared for. I will be writing about her burial dress later as well. I didn't buy that beforehand because we had no idea if we were having a boy or a girl.
Did you ever order Colleen's birth certificate?

Unknown said...

No, I haven't ordered the birth certificate yet. Like I said, you inspired me to do it, but it's still hard to take the plunge. I'll do it by the end of the year, though!

Amy said...

It isn't easy. It took me months...but it was so worth it.