Tuesday 26 May 2009

Dealing with "We'll never"

I know I have mentioned before how often grief catches me off guard. Last week I was ready for the anniversary of Leah's diagnosis, and the day ended up being livable. It was not a particularly good day, and I was pretty exhausted by the end of it, but my sadness was not overwhelming that day. Yesterday, Memorial Day, was a whole different story. Memorial Day is for remembering the soldiers who have fallen, so I was thinking about so many sons and daughters gone, seeing all the pictures of rows of headstones, hearing Taps, and these triggered a very deep sorrow. I cried more yesterday than I have in a long time.

The other thing that has been plaguing me of late is the phrase "we'll never." Recently a friend of ours posted some pictures on Facebook of she and her daughter having tea at the Drake. As I browsed the album, I found myself saying,"I need a daughter." I actually said this out loud. Immediately, I thought, "I had a daughter. I will never take her to tea." And I cried.

Mourning things you will never do feels strange. After all, I'm not grieving the loss of anything tangible, or of anything I ever actually did. I'm grieving my future without Leah. Jeff and I will age, but she will not. We will move, and leave her behind. We will buy a house, get a backyard, and she will never play in it. Leah and I will never have tea at the Drake. And so I cry.

4 comments:

mary said...

This was the first year I thought of all the people who had lost somebody instead of those who were lost. It's those who are left behind that have all the pain.
Love you both,
Mom

Haley said...

oh amy... i am so so sorry. i cry with you, friend.

Lea said...

Strength to you, friend.

Thinking of your precious Leah.

Joline said...

I love you, Amy.