Wednesday 7 January 2009

Remembering Ally

Three years ago the phone rang in the early morning hours. I heard it, but I stayed in bed, half asleep. We get lots of wrong numbers. Then, through the fog, I heard the dreadful sounds of movement: my parents softly talking, opening doors. I knew something was terribly wrong. Nothing good ever comes from unexpected phone calls like that. So I tried to sleep, because I didn't want to know.

The news, when it came, was terrible. Our next-door neighbor, Allison, had been severely injured in a car crash. The doctors were working, but it didn't look good. Later that morning another phone call revealed that there was nothing more they could do for her.

The injustice of it all still bothers me.

Allison's family, Z, Michael, and Aimie, are often in my thoughts and prayers, but they are especially on my heart today as yet another year passes.

Michael and Z have been wonderful role models for Jeff and me. They have grieved so openly and unapologetically. I really admire their honesty. It takes a great deal of courage to live with grief, and they do it so well. Without their example, I don't know if Jeff and I would be so willing to expose ourselves and our heartache.

Tonight we will eat Mexican food, and miss Ally.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so sad for Ally's family. Losing a child is the absolute worst thing that a parent should have to deal with. I'm glad that you have her parents as I'm sure they are thankful for you.