Wednesday 12 November 2008

Waiting...

I am officially a wreck. I barely slept last night, and I feel like I am going to throw-up. This feeling is one of the many reasons we chose not to go the domestic route. But how could I say no when they called?

I know that this is in God’s hands, but given the past six months, that doesn’t comfort me in regards to the amount of pain I might experience. If she doesn’t choose us, or changes her mind, I will know that this baby was not the one that God had in mind for our family. Then I will wonder why on earth God decided to put us through this. We have fragile hearts. We have lost so much in the last few months, and we do not feel ready or willing to lose again.

In the C.S. Lewis book that I quoted from yesterday, A Grief Observed, Lewis writes a metaphor depicting God as a surgeon. He describes how God, as a good surgeon, must continue his cutting and finish the operation no matter how badly it hurts the patient or how loudly the patient cries for mercy. If he stopped the surgery prior to its completion, the patient would be far worse off in the long run. The patient simply doesn’t have the perspective to realize this, so the surgeon cannot listen to his pleas.

I have no perspective. I don’t know if this opportunity is God’s answer to our pleas for a child, or if our “surgery” simply isn’t finished. That scares me. I don’t want to bleed anymore.

6 comments:

Haley said...

Oh Amy, I am sorry this is so painful! Please know that you are in our prayers daily. May God the surgeon continue His good work and be merciful to you.

Robin said...

Uncle David and I are praying for you and everyone involved today.
Love you...

Heather said...

Amy, I haven't stopped thinking of you since you posted yesterday. I can't imagine how you are surviving the wait, as I know I am struggling with it myself, afraid to hope. I am continually giving it to God, so know you are being prayed for.

Beth Sykes said...

Huge prayers for Jeff, you and the baby and birth family to have the courage and wisdom to make the right choices.

Unknown said...

I'm praying that if this is the baby for you, things will go smoothly and quickly and without complications. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Gretchen said...

Amy, I am praying for you and Jeff and for the birth family. I pray that the right choices will be made and that you will have peace.