Thursday 7 November 2013

The Boys' Room

I have been getting little comments here and there asking for pictures of our new digs. They are coming, I promise, just not all at once because it is taking a while for me to figure out what I want where, and I would like the rooms to look halfway decent before I post pictures. Also, I read once that you shouldn't post home tours/house layouts on your blog in case someone uses the photos you post to plan a robbery. I figure that if I post little by little potential robbers will get bored trying to piece the full picture of our home together and go pick on someone else (if you are reading this post and contemplating robbing our home, please note that our television is very small and covered in fingerprints, our DVD player jams so you will need to pry it open with your finger nails in order to insert a disc, and honestly our nicest machine is my breadmaker. Good luck fencing that).

I decided to start with the boy's room, not because it is finished, but because it is the last room that I will be spending time/effort/money decorating. It will happen, eventually, but my boys have yet to notice that their bedspreads don't match and that they have no art on their walls. Frankly, I'm dreading the day that Nic realizes that one half of his reversible Navy/Rose comforter (inherited from my college years) is pink and decides to reject it. But for now, this is their room and it isn't changing until after I finish my room in the distant future. You will see that there are only two beds in the boy's room. The three boys have been rather vocal about wanting to all share a room, so they will in the near future, but at this point the only way that we can get them all to sleep is to have Kenny in another room. Otherwise Kenny will jump on Nic's head every chance he gets, even if Nic is already asleep. We have no idea why he does this. Thus Tommy and Nic, who are both quite good about staying in their beds, are together, and Kenny is in a toddler bed in our room. This situation is less than ideal, but Kenny also doesn't sleep well completely alone, so it's a catch 22, and this is the solution that allows everyone the most possible sleep. The only other point about the boy's room is that Nic is not sleeping on a mattress on the floor, he is sleeping in his trundle bed, but now that we have a very large room for them to share we no longer trundle it.

The other reason that I really want to start with the boy's room is that Jeff designed and built an awesome closet system for them, and I want to show it off because I am really proud of all the work he did to make it happen. We wanted to avoid dressers in the kid's room because they climb everything and dressers are really dangerous for children who enjoy climbing. I know we could anchor them to the wall, but I still don't feel they are particularly safe. The boy's room has a huge closet, and Jeff is quite handy, so the obvious solution was to build in shelves for all of their clothes. Since the boys are so small and their clothes don't take up too much space, I can keep all of their clothes, both winter and summer, out all the time. This is so awesome. I hate having to change out the clothes each season (it's bad enough every time they grow a size), and it makes packing for trips in warmer climates and those odd days when the weather is not typical of the season so much easier. The only draw-back with the open shelving is that sometimes Kenny, in his enthusiasm to help put clothes in the hamper, helps himself to the nicely folded clean items in the closet and makes a bit of a mess. In my opinion it is entirely worth not having to deal with clothing items stuffed haphazardly into drawers and having to unstick things with great frequency.

And so, I give you, the boy's closet and their room.






No comments: